To get: free TOEFL Tips Emails, then Become a Free Member

TOEFL Tip #82: Even Native Speakers Don’t Score 120 On The TOEFL

by Strictly English TOEFL Tutors on January 10, 2011

Strictly English has recently researched how a native speaker of English would perform on the TOEFL iBT. Many of our clients assume that native speakers will score perfect 120s on the test, but this turned out not to be true.

Because TOEFL is designed for high school seniors, we wanted our English-speaker to be 17 or 18 years old. Our most important characteristic for the native English speaker was that he had excellent high-school grades and that he had no knowledge about the TOEFL exam nor of Strictly English’s strategies. In fact, he did not even know how many sections there were on the exam.

Our native speaker scored a 105. Like so many of our clients, his worst sections were Writing (25) and Speaking (26). Granted, a 26 is a fantastic Speaking score for an international test-taker, but it’s pretty low for a native speaker. Clearly this indicates that scores of 27 and above are not just about being able to speak English. Instead, you have to speak English with a professional clarity and purpose that even the most intelligent high-school students are years away from mastering.

Our native speaker’s highest score was a 28 on the Reading, which he admitted tired him out a lot and had a significant effect on his performance as the exam went on.

After the exam, all he said was, “A little knowledge of the exam prior to would have been extremely helpful,” which suggests that even a native-born speaker could have benefited from guidance on the TOEFL.

For an American student who had previously scored in the 95th percentile for the SATs to come into the TOEFL and only get a 105 on the iBT should send a message to all those internationals who are aiming to get a similar score or higher. If a straight-A native speaker only scored a 105 without coaching, you should be prepared to need some tutoring yourself if you’re trying to get a 100 of higher.

Categories: Reading,Speaking,TOEFL Preparation,Uncategorized,Writing

64 comments so far. Leave a comment.

1. BillTuckerUS

wrote on February 13, 2011 at 2:42 am

I’m the stepfather of a 16-year-old VIetnamese girl. She is trying to learn English and I’m trying to help her, so I decided to take some of the short sample TOEFL tests on the web, to see what she is up against. I was very disappointed. About 10% of the questions are trick questions and, for another 10%, the answers are arbitrary. In other words, out of every ten questions two are, to put it politely, silly. If you get 6 out of the remaining 8 correct (75%), I think you’re capable of entering most undergraduate college programs. (BTW, I’m speaking from the standpoint of someone with three degrees from top-ten universities and a long background in writing.)

2. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on February 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hi Bill Tucker,

Thank you for your comment.

I wanted to address your opinion that the TOEFL is not too difficult.
    First, there is a huge difference between short sample TOEFL tests on the web and the TOEFL administered by ETS. We have been trying to educate the public about this point for a while: TOEFL preparation materials either published or on the web are in most cases severely inaccurate in comparison to the experience internationals have in the actual exam.
    Second, only the first two sections of the exam deal with multiple-choice questions. The second half of the exam is entirely performance based. For the Speaking section you have to eloquently articulate either complex academic topics or creative personal opinions. For the Writing section you need to produce two well-organized essays as well.
    Before going any further with this discussion I suggest you stop using Internet sample tests as the base of your argument and instead go to a test center and buy an actual TOEFL IBT because that is where we find our hard evidence.

3. Nayelly Lemus Rios

wrote on October 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm

What type of practice test is recomendable to do in internet, in order to apply the TOEFL exam. What the maximun score?I´d like to know some tips

4. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

You can go take an OLD official TOEFL at http://toeflpractice.ets.org/.
    GOOD LUCK!!!

5. Evans

wrote on November 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

English is the only official language in my country, used and thought in schools from basic level to the highest. I want to take the toefl; how much preparation do i need?

6. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on November 26, 2011 at 11:19 am

Hi Evans.

GOOD QUESTION!

As you can tell from this article, even native speakers don’t score a prefect 120, so most likely you won’t either. No worries, though, because no one asks for a perfect score. The highest scores that Universities ask for is 110 (Harvard Business School), and I only know of one certification program that asks for a 27 on the speaking. Most other places only ask for a 26. So the real question is what score do you need; this will determine the amount of preparation. If you only need a 85 for the schools you’re applying to, then you’ll probably be okay without any preparation. If you need a 105, then probably your weakest section will need some study time. We suggest that you take a ETS practice test online to see how you score on the Reading and Listening. Since the Speaking and Writing scores are graded by an ETS computer on their practice tests, we’ve found them to be woefully off. Therefore, write essays on our site and you’ll get a live grader to evaluate your writing. With all this information combined, you’ll have a good idea of how you would score on a real test. Then you will be able to determine how much self-study or tutoring you’ll need.

7. TOEFL test taker

wrote on December 17, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Evans, I would suggest you focus on the speaking section, because the setting is so unnatural, that, even if your speaking experience is extensive, you can get caught by surprise. I had a similar situation to yours I guess (I worked in the UK for 3 years, but had to take the test because my degree wasn’t in English), and out of the 5 score points I lost, 4 were in the Speaking section and only 1 in the rest of the test. Learn to pace yourself to fit your answer into exactly 40 or 60 seconds, or whatever it is. Record your responses and then listen to them; you can do that with a mobile phone and the many sample questions from the web. Also, speak academically and avoid colloquialisms, but do use 1-2 idioms in each response. If you have a local accent (particularly not a major one), turn it down for the test.
    Oh yeah, and why do you want to take it, if you don’t mind me asking? It’s 250 dollars :)

8. Mike

wrote on March 4, 2012 at 3:57 am

I would simply like to reaffirm the points addressed in this blog article. As a native English speaker who has had extensive experience teaching English as a foreign language, I took the TOEFL exam for myself. If there were anyone who could get a perfect score on an EFL exam without preparation, it’d be me. Or, rather, it SHOULD have been me. Although I have taken brief looks at preparation material ahead of time, I was still unable to score a 120. I was almost insulted! The TOEFL exam, like many other standardized tests, suffers from the inherent weaknesses of the standardization procedure itself. It measures your familiarity with how TOEFL is scored instead of just measuring how good you are at English.

9. Jonas

wrote on March 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hi,

I would like to say that I’m French, so not at all a native English speaker, and I do not have any English speaker in my family… I just learned English from school (although in France it is not a very good level…) and especially from books and TV shows. And I got 112/120 in my TOEFL with only 30 minutes of preparation before… So frankly i don’t think that a native speaker who scores 105 is that good if a non native speaker could get 7 points more with very little preparation! I didn’t even do any speaking or writing training prior to the exam! and i got 24 and 28 in those parts… but mostly getting 30 to both reading and listening (that’s the score i got) should not be a problem at all for a native! This one does not seem to me to be so “straight-A” material after all with just 105…

10. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on March 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hi Jonas. I love your story! Remember, just because someone is a “straight A student” doesn’t mean they are a genius either! :) The TOEFL is not only a test OF English, but it is a test IN English, which can trip up some smart kids.

11. bernie march

wrote on June 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I just wrote the toefl in Canada. I did not find it a particularly difficult exam. My score was 108. I do have one major complaint and that is the fact that the score is only good for 2 years. I think that 2 years is ridiculous especially for countries like Canada where English is not a foreign language. Feedback on this point would be appreciated.

12. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on June 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

We’ll make the 2-year expiration a topic for a future post! Thanks for the idea!

13. bernadette

wrote on July 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

hi.im planning to take my toefl next month..im in south carolina right now.i was raised and finished my degree in philippines. wondering what materials can i use because im planning to study on my own.thanks
    if you could give me some tips, appreciated

14. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on July 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Be sure to use all of our free study aids on the site and also remember that we have more study aids for only $12. GOOD LUCK!

15. Faris

wrote on December 4, 2012 at 7:20 am

Hi,
    I consider myself a native english speaker, however I recently just scored a 17 on my TOEFL IBT writing section. My essay contained ingenuity, examples and creative writing, and toped around 400 words. Moreover I scored a 10 out of 12 on my SAT writing section. However, I am quite skeptical on who actually graded my essay, and quite frustrated. As I have heard rumors that ETS hires non native english graders. I am planing to take it again in a week, and would like some advice on having a rubrics sheet on nailing the essay part, and if possible file a complaint or ask them to review my essay again.

16. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on December 4, 2012 at 7:30 am

You can have the essays re-scored, but it is expensive. They are graded by computer, so there is not much room for human error. The only thing that might be happening is that you’re scoring high on the IND essay but low on the INT essay. What was your Reading and Listening scores? We can help you to prep for your next test. A 4-Hour program would probably be enough to go over strategies and templates.

17. Brandon

wrote on December 15, 2012 at 7:57 am

I am an above average student in general. I have a 3.5 GPA and take very rigorous courses. I scored around 80th percentile in the SAT and I am a native speaker I went in with absolutely no knowledge about the exam and no preparation whatsoever. I got a 107

18. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on December 15, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi Branchin.

Why did you take the test?

19. Brandon

wrote on December 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am from a country where its citizens are required to take it.

20. Farida

wrote on December 25, 2012 at 3:12 am

Hi, I went for IBT test twice and cudnt get the score i am from central asia and for me its difficult . I am going for test again and expect 95 overall score. I have tutor and using the IBT book. But still not sure that cud succeed! First time i got 50 only. last year Plz help to be succeed the third time:)
    Thanks.

21. Pheebs

wrote on January 2, 2013 at 1:28 am

I have a question. I grew up in the states for 10 years before coming back to my native country this year. I have to take the TOEFL test in a couple weeks and as you have said, I’m having difficulty with the Speaking Section. My question is this: Would I have to answer the questions like I would in class when a teacher throws a question at me, or would I have to answer in the “Give an answer, state two reasons, add a conclusion” format??

22. Joseph

wrote on May 6, 2013 at 7:59 am

OK. I am native speaker that is an English professor at a university in South America.I have a BS and a Master’s from the US. We are being TEOFL certified and I have to take the TEOFL too any suggestions.

23. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on May 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Hi Joseph,

Since you can’t study for the content of the TOEFL, you should concentrate on the performance aspect of the speaking section. Practice answering questions out loud, using good details and organization. Practice pacing — not too slowly or too quickly — and practice being able to glance at the timer without forgetting what you were about to say next. Practice taking breaths at appropriate times, and practice so you can eliminate “ums” and other filler words.

For the writing section, review paragraph organization and transitions for clearly linking your ideas.

Good luck!

24. TOEFL score- 113

wrote on August 16, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I took TOEFL ibt few year back and got a score of 113, with very minimum prep. I am not a native speaker but had English as my language of instruction all my life. I tool TOEFL again a couple of days back, this time without any prep. I must say that the difficulty level of reading section is really high now. In addition I received an experimental reading section, which was really annoying and left me almost short of time. Anyone else have taken TOEFL more than once? If yes, has it impacted the scores. I am hoping to get similar score, but this time it looks like i might not. Considering the fact that i missed one 3 point question- i skipped the last question and moved to the new paragraph by accidental clicks. Really disappointed how they let that happen, There should be confirm buttons before moving to new paragraphs that warn you! Just hoping that paragraph is experimental and i luck out!

25. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on August 17, 2013 at 4:36 am

Everyone agrees that the reading has become harder!

My only comment on your post is that TOEFL DOES let you go back to previous questions. YOU can go backward and forward through all the questions for every passage, unless that has changed recently. Anyone else have knowledge on this?

26. Ben

wrote on October 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I recently took the TOEFL without preparation and having gotten very little sleep the night before (I flew in the morning of thest). I still scored 119 so in my expereince it really isnt that hard if youre bilingual or have gone to a school where the primary language of instruction is english for most of your life.

27. Rasiga

wrote on October 19, 2013 at 8:16 am

I am an undergrad from India. I took my TOEFL test a week back. My score is 110 ( R-28 L-30 S-28 W-24) I din’t expect such a low score in the writing section and I am planning to take the test again next week. My IND essay was graded 4.0-5.0 while the INT was graded 2.5-3.5 which was a disappointment for I was expecting a higher score. Any tips for my forthcoming test?

28. Jossy

wrote on October 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hi,

I am a Spanish speaker. My TOEFL ibt score is a 90, and I am applying to many US universities. Is a 90 a good score, or should I consider to retake the test?
    P.D I am applying as freshman.

Thank you!

Best regards!

29. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 29, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Hi Jossy.

Every school has its own score requirements. You should contact all the schools that you want to apply to and ask them what TOEFL scores they want. REMEMBER: that some schools might even want individual scores for EACH section of the test!

GOOD LUCK!

30. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hi Rasiga.

We have LOTS of TOEFL TIPS about the Writing section of the test on our blog TOEFL TIPS. Look on the right side of the page and click on the category WRITING. That will bring up all the posts. Also, you can submit an essay for us to evaluate. Go here: http://www.strictlyenglishusa.com/free-essay-evaluation/

31. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 29, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Agreed! Want a job tutoring??? :)

What school did you get accepted to?

32. Hosein

wrote on November 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm

On Oct 20, 2013, I took the TOEFL test & got 111 overall with the following breakdown (from highest to lowest) of:
    Writing: 30
    Speaking: 29
    Reading: 28
    Listening: 24
    If u were the head of a language school in, say, Turkey or Bulgaria, would u consider hiring me as a language teacher (taking into account my 10+ experience teaching English & the fact that I’m NOT a native speaker of English)?
    P.S.: Ur article above, I have to say, was both very clearly-written & very enlightening.
    Best

33. Hossein

wrote on November 3, 2013 at 2:42 am

Writing: 30
    Speaking: 29
    Reading: 28
    Listening: 24 (I’m embarrassed)
    Given that I’m not a native speaker & that I have 10+ yrs of experience teaching EFL, do you think I’d be given the job of an English teacher in countries in Mid-East or East Asia?
    Thanks

34. Aditya

wrote on December 3, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I don’t agree with this. I am an Indian student applying for graduate programs in USA and gave TOEFL on Nov 23 2013. I got 116 in TOEFL
    Writing 30
    Speaking 26
    Reading 30
    Listening 30
    I did not prepare for the exam at all and just knew what are the sections..

35. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on December 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Hi Aditya!

That’s a great score! Congrats!

We have a lot of research proving that native speakers don’t *automatically* score 120. Many people think that if you’re a native speaker then you’ll get a 120 no matter what. But that’s just not true.

Good luck in your future studies!

36. Nina

wrote on December 12, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Actually, yes, TOEFL kind of gets ridiculously easy once you’ve gone through GRE. I’m non-native, I didn’t spend any time preparing for TOEFL specifically because I had GRE coming up close, and I still scored 115. I lost four points on Speaking, though, and one on Writing, but then again, I’ve never been all that great with writing even in my native tongue, and the opportunities to speak to someone in English are very limited in my area. So probably aiming higher than TOEFL helps too.

37. Tipa

wrote on January 9, 2014 at 3:27 am

The integrated parts, both in speaking and writing, do not reflect the real academic situation in the USA. In real life, students read an article and contemplates on it. Probably they have to consider the weaknesses and strengths in that particular article Then in class, they take notes from the lecture and give comments. The TOEFL misses this point. There is no time for the test taker to think. It is not realistic. My students hate the integrated parts. I think it is better for the TOEFL to change the format into reading an article or listening to a lecture, summarizing it and then giving comments.

38. Carlos

wrote on May 7, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I am from Mexico and I studied High School in the States, I´m about to take the TOEFL ibt and from what I´ve investigated throughout the internet it seems to me that is more of a memorization test, in what is supposed to be the comprehension section, they give you all this story and you have to remember what they said, thats not about comprehension, that is more of having a good memory and being able to remember things quickly, and that totally sucks because I have big troubles remembering stuff I just Heard!
    I would appreciatte if anybody provided tips on how to overcome this!

39. M10

wrote on September 16, 2014 at 5:10 am

Hi,
    I scored 106 recently; reading:27-Listening: 27- Speaking:28- Writing 24. I’d more than thankful in case you help score more than 109 and specifically get a 27 in writing next time.

40. Jeanne

wrote on October 10, 2014 at 11:03 am

It should be taken in consideration that native speakers don’t necessarily speak good English. I speak better English than some native speakers I know.

41. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 10, 2014 at 11:43 am

Memory can help, especially in the LISTENING section when you cannot go back and listen again. But in general there are more tricks to learn than information to memorize! ^_^

42. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm

We can definitely help! Have you looked at our STUDY HALL Program? It’s specifically designed for Writing! ^_^

43. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm

We completely agree! ^_^

44. Dennis

wrote on November 27, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Good day,
    I took toefl 5 years ago and scored 118, losing a point in the speaking and writing sections, I am taking toefl again tomorrow and haven’t prepared at all, I was fairly confident before reading the comments here. Do I have anything to be worried about and if I do what can I do today to help me.
    PS: I have taken the practive test on testden,com and my current highest score is 114, but I am fairly confident I should be able to score higher by day’s end.
    Thank you for your speedy reply.

45. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on December 19, 2014 at 10:22 am

How did you do on your test? You must have received your scores by now.

46. A

wrote on January 15, 2015 at 5:49 am

I am French and scored a 120 without preparation. I lived in English-speaking countries for parts of my life, but not for most of my life. I would not at all describe my English as perfect.

I think it is very true to say that the TOEFL is a test in English as much as it is one of English.

I would more specifically say that the test is of English up to about the 90-100 score range, at which point incremental learning in advanced grammar/ vocabulary, or marginal accent-perfecting start yielding relatively low improvement in the score.

From that range onward, I would say the TOEFL becomes a test in English. Score improvements become mainly driven by reasoning and structuring abilities. It becomes crucial not to speak marginally better English, but to be able to present arguments in a compelling way.

I believe this idea can be well illustrated by my experience at my university.

This was one of the top schools in France, so my classmates were French, and most had very strong resoning abilities.

Interestingly however, there were two rather well-defined groups based on pure English skills: those who were relatively fluent (though often with French accents, and prone to making some occasional grammatical mistakes), and those with plainly terrible English.

As a result, the distribution of scores at my school was very “tail-heavy”. Many people – those with poor English- got relatively low scores in the 80s, while many others – with pretty good but not perfect English- scored in the 105-115. Fewer than one might expect scored in the 90-100 range.

I think this lends credibility to the argument that beyond a certain level of English (which is not perfection) reasoning abilities start carrying you far, whereas in lower score ranges the emphasis is much more on the level of English, and reasoning abilities are unable to compensate for poor language skills. Once brought to the 90-100 range by their level of English, my classmates were quickly brought into the 105-115 range by their strong reasoning abilities.

47. songi

wrote on February 7, 2015 at 6:51 am

hi,
    i plan on taking the Toefl test this year but i have a few questions to ask about toefl……
    *do all native speakers recieve above 100?
    *how can i improve my writing skills?
    *where can i get the official list of the TOEFL essay topics?
    *is it possible to get above 100 score in toefl test without tutuoring?

48. Caz

wrote on February 11, 2015 at 8:53 am

I see a lot of people here are almost bragging about not preparing and acing the test but please remember that most people who visit such sites are people who are preparing for the test and want to learn about the experiences of other people who have taken the test. Personally I did prepare, not as much as I would have loved to but I did familiarise myself with the format of the test sections and did 1 or 2 writing exercises before hand. I scored 105, I live in Rwanda, english is not first nor my second language and I only started taking all my classes in english in secondary school (high school). If anyone out there is planning to take the TOEFL IBT, I suggest they do some practice before hand. You might be bilingual and comfortable in english but if nothing has prepared you for the lengthy passages in the reading section, note taking in the listening section, sentence construction in speaking section and time management in the writing section, I bet you will not do as well as you would have liked. And yeah, as some people mentioned above, reasoning ability does play a role on your score so try to be reasonable in your arguments as well. Otherwise, if you think TOEFL is a b****h try GRE.

49. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on February 14, 2015 at 8:37 am

Hello!
    Most native speakers will get over 100, but very few get a perfect 120.
    Writing skills are best improved in our WRITING WORKSHOPS. they are highly effective and very affordable. Deluxe members only pay $22/class.
    You don’t need a list of TOEFL topics; you need to write well! ^_^
    100 without tutoring is possible, but it takes longer. If you’re not in a rush. Study alone. If the clock is ticking over your head, get into tutoring.

50. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on February 15, 2015 at 9:18 am

We couldn’t agree more TIPA!!! But all standardized tests (SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc) are unreal. It’s a true problem that would be great to solve somehow!

51. Dipesh

wrote on March 17, 2015 at 8:16 am

I have score 74 and i want to retake what is the best way to prepare? I have got low score in reading and listening how i prepare for it.

52. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on March 17, 2015 at 6:44 pm

We have lots of options for improving your score. Read our blog every day. For one week, read ONLY the blog articles about the TOEFL READING section. Then spend time practicing what you’ve learned. The next week, transition to reading all the blog articles about LISTENING. etc. GOOD LUCK!

53. Saadet

wrote on May 18, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Hi, I am a native Persian speaker which is not really close to English. I have to take the TOEFL and GMAT test in two months for my master degree program. I have been speaking English language for ten years at work and school, and my bachelor degree was thought in English as well. More over I have been leaving in California for three years. I took some English classes in college last year to master my English where most of the students were native English speaker and high school graduate from California. There was not much deference between me and other students in the class except oral English because I have some accent from my native language. I heard some people saying that TOEFL test is very difficult and on the other hand some people say it is very easy for native speaker and even some French people scored up to 107 to 120. The question is, who should I listen to? I just need a score of 90 to 100.
    I would highly appreciate any tip.

54. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on May 19, 2015 at 6:41 am

The only way to know if TOEFL is hard for you is to take a test. You could take a PRACTICE test at http://www.scorenexus.com, but be sure to take the ENTIRE practice test in ONE 4-hour sitting so that you get tired the same way you will on the real test. GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how you do.

55. Christine

wrote on June 11, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Hi, I am a Korean that took the TOEFL test in 9th grade. I got a score of 114/120 but I have to retake the test due to the 2-year valid period. I am afraid I will get a lower score than before! I took a practice test yesterday and I totally flunked the speaking section (I had a 27 before), got a 27 in Reading (I had a 29 before). Any tips? Why do you think my score got lower? I’m taking the real test tomorrow… :(

56. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on June 12, 2015 at 8:42 am

Hello.
    We just got your message. I hope you did well today! If not, then sign up for an hour of tutoring and we can quickly review your problems and fix any issues you might have.

57. Joana

wrote on September 27, 2015 at 3:49 pm

It is actually beyond me how anyone can score less than 30 on the reading section…I mean the text is right there all through the test.

58. Johanna

wrote on October 23, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I am Argentinian and applying as a college freshman. Got a 113 without studying. The exam is pretty easy if you know English. Careful with exceeding the writing word limit (225 and 350 respectively), it lowers your score!

59. skifter

wrote on May 3, 2016 at 11:18 am

hello Im Skifter Ymeri from Serbia.
    I want to know how much time it need to be prepared for TOEFL test to work intensive, because my language is pre-intermediade.If someone can answer who have expenerienced this test ?

Best regards Skifter Ymeri

60. Jo

wrote on July 8, 2016 at 12:38 am

I’m an international school student where most people get above 110 on TOEFL (english is pretty much our first language), so I naturally assumed that I’ll get a decent score (I got above 2000 on SAT). However, when I took the test, I got 24 on Reading & Listening, 27 on Speaking and 25 on Writing. I was really surprised; Reading is not my strongest section, but I didn’t expect it to be this low and I certainly didn’t expect Speaking and Writing to be this low as well. (Is it because Speaking focus a lot on errors like grammar?)

Much thanks!

61. Jo

wrote on July 8, 2016 at 12:49 am

Also, do we need to include harder vocabularies for Speaking and Writing to bump up our scores?

62. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 9, 2016 at 7:12 am

No you don’t. It’s a test of communication, not of advanced vocabulary. Clear intermediate communication will score higher than broken advanced English.

63. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 9, 2016 at 7:15 am

Interesting information, Joanne. In fact, you’ve proved the point of the blog entry. High scores are also about the RHETORICAL PERFORMANCE of your speaking and writing. How “inviting” and “attractive” you sound. How “fun” do you sound. How “natural” and “engaged” do you sound. How “charming” is your prose? THAT gets you up into the 28, 29 and 30 range.

64. Strictly English TOEFL Tutors

wrote on October 9, 2016 at 7:25 am

about 3 months if you study 3 times a week.